Let be completely honest here, we all know that tater tots are perfect in every single way. From breakfast to dinner, and even as a midnight snack, there no time of the day that I would object to eating a nice crispy tot (well, maybe before I went for a run or something, but that’s besides the point). I personally enjoy my tots to be crunchy and crispy, but even when they’re soggy, tots aren’t half bad. So you’d wouldn’t believe my excitement when I came across a recipe for LOW CARB TOTS, which are made with cauliflower instead of potatoes! With my craving for tot and love of cauliflower, I had to try this recipe!!!!
CHECK OUT THE RECIPE I USED HERE!
Of course I took the liberty in changing up the recipe a little to make it a little more accessible and flavorful!
TIPS, HINTS, AND CHANGES!
- Change: This recipe calls for raw cauliflower; HOWEVER, I used frozen cauliflower and it worked well.
- Tip: If you are using frozen cauliflower, MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS AND YOU PRESS ALL OF THE EXTRA WATER FROM CAULIFLOWER.
- Hint: The recipe suggest you let the mixture sit, HOWEVER, I didn’t and do not think it’s necessary, especially if you are on a time crunch.
- Tip: I didn’t use any onions, but I added some chopped spinach leaves to my tots for added flavor. I suggest adding chopped carrots or broccoli to the mix for different flavors and texture!
- Change: I only used a little bit of pepper jack cheese, to cut down the calories (or maybe because I only had a little…) and it tasted great! Add however much or little you’d like.
Review of the Recipe: The outcome of these cauliflower tots were better than I’d expected! Unlike normal tots, they had more flavor, due to the combined cheese. ALSO, this was my first time frying anything, and it was definitely A LOT easier than I had imagined,which pleasantly surprised me! Not to say I’m going to be frying everything from now on, but it’s a great feat to check off my bucket list! Next time I make these, I am going to try and bake them, instead of frying, just to make them a bit healthier! I personally didn’t make the chipotle mayonnaise, but instead dipped mine in hot sauce!
FUN FACT: “Tater Tots” is actually a registered trademark of Ore-Ida.